Multi-Phobic Treatment (Silanization)
Process Control has performed Siloxane surface treatment since 2000. This process eliminates surface adsorption of active compounds on most metals, glass, ceramic and carbon surfaces. All polar molecules such as H2S, RSH (mercaptanes), H2O, O2 and others, will be adsorbed more or less heavily to non-treated surfaces. The absorbance of molecules to the tube wall will cause long delays before the analyzer readings stabilize. Also changes in concentration takes long time, because absorbsjon/desorbsion of molecules from the metal is slow.
Treated surface has very short retention time, which gives faster and more correct analyzer results.
As one of few companies, Process Control has now developed a procedure for Multi-Phobic treatment (=an extention of the Silanization) of metal surfaces. Most metals and alloys can be treated by this method.
With this procedure the new chemical react with the metal atoms. Strong covalent bonds are created, and this “new” surface gives it both oleo-phobic and hydro-phobic properties. The surface will now repel both polar and un-polar molecules.
Since the chemical bonding does not create a layer on top of the surface which can crack, the bending radius of our tubing is not affected at all. Traditional coating requires a larger bending radius.
The chemical treatment can be performed both on individual parts (fittings, valves, etc) and tubing; new and present installations. Since the treatment also involves a thoroughly inside chemical cleaning, (eg. of analytical systems) new installations can be proved clean before start up. Contamination of new tubing and tubing during installation is common, and can be eliminated by this chemical treatment.
Please note that Electro Polishing treatment is not at all the same. Electro Polishing (EP) treatment makes the surface smoother and more corrosion resistant, but has no effect on adsorption /absorption of molecules.
Some beneficial properties obtained by MultiPhobic Treatment (Silanization)
- Hydro-phobic – repels water and molecules with similar properties, (eg. H2S, mercaptanes ++)
- Oleo-phobic – repels hydrocarbons, inorganic fat ++
- Suitable for most metals and alloys
- Reduction of time before analyzer stability
- Faster detection of changes in concentration
- Will not crack – same bending radius as for untreated tubing
- High temperature resistance, no effect before 250 DegC
- Long lifetime – so far tested for 10 years without decreased effect
- Faster/better mixing in tubing – more turbulent flow due to less friction
- Improved Corrosion Properties – the metal itself is not exposed
- Resistant against most chemicals, incl. petroleum- and processing chemicals
- Good anti stick properties
- Cleaned surface before treatment
- Some companies require this type of treatment of parts of the analytical systems
- Treatment can be performed onshore as well as offshore
Orifices and Thermowells
Process Control can design any types of orifices and thermowells, all delivered according to relevant procedure and Norsok materials. As always, we take care of all neccesary calculation and documentation for every delivery.
Process Control can design any type of probes; e.g. sample quill and double probes. We can also supply these quills as extractable type probes during operation. All of our probes are delivered according to Norsok design and materials. Probes can also be delivered with PED certification, where relevant. We do wake frequency vibration of all of our probes and according to ASME PTC 19.3 TW-2010. Documentation will be provided for every probe delivered.
Historically filter membranes have been supplied by the manufacturer of the bodies. Since filters are used for many different applications, it is obvious that the body manufacturers can not tailor made membranes for all different applications. Installation of unusable filter membranes in sample conditioning systems, upstream of analysers, have in many cases caused misleading analytical results, analyser break down and problems in other parts of the an analyser system.
A consequence of this is that Process Control started making membranes which are tailor made for all applications within petroleum industry, which are:
- Stronger than those typically used before
- Available for all bypass filter bodies
- Different pore sizes for different applications
- Self-cleaning with the bypass flow
- Select Membrane composition based on substance to be filtered
- Delivered with properties suitable for all filter applications where undesired components must be removed prior to entering the analyser:
- Oleo-Phile / Hydro-Phobe membranes:
- Non-polar liquid chemicals/substances (typically hydrocarbon) pass
- Polar liquids (typically water) and solid particles are rejected
- Oleo-Phobe / Hydro-Phile membranes:
- Non-Polar liquid chemicals/substances (typically hydrocarbons) and particles are rejected
- Polar liquid (typically Water) pass through
- An improved membrane type will soon be commercially available
- Multi-Phobe membranes:
- Reject solid particles and both polar and non-polar liquids
- Gas and vapour only, pass through
- Multi-Phile membranes:
- Polar and non-polar liquids pass through
- Solid particles are rejected
- Oleo-Phile / Hydro-Phobe membranes:
Process Control will help you to select the ideal membrane for your application.
Separation Tank & -Cylinder
Process Control has engineered our own gas/liquid separation tank. The purpose of this tank is to have continuously operation of separating gas from the liquid. The Separation tank is installed in an cabinet together with an analyser for continuously analyzing of the gas from the liquid separation.
Multi-phase testing separation tank
Process Control can supply systems for multi-phase testing of well streams. Our design includes a 7lt separation cylinder in 6Mo (PED certified to 202barG) with sight glass, which will give the operator control of phase levels during filling. Heavy components like water and condensate are extracted from the low end of the separator, while gas samples are extracted from the high end. The system shown on the picture below is equipped with a separate chamber with fume extraction for HMS purposes during liquid extraction.
We only use NORSOK material for this application.